California is home to many of the world’s leading addiction treatment programs. Nearby proximity to nationally recognized universities and research facilities allows high-end California drug rehab programs access to the brightest graduates and scholars in the field, along with the benefits of cutting edge treatment research and technology.When you factor in the natural beauty of the California mountains, ocean,and mild temperatures, you may find that a California drug rehab program provides the benefits of top-notch medical care with the comforts of a luxurious spa vacation.
All California drug rehabs must comply with the requirements of the State of California when they provide addiction treatment services, and private facilities like The Canyon in Peace Park, California, have more freedom to offer a wider range of alternative treatments and therapies than the average treatment program. These enhanced treatment options improve the overall experience of the patient and increase the chances for success in recovery after leaving the program.
Addiction Treatment Services Offered in California
The first few weeks or months spent in rehab without drugs and alcohol are crucial. Through medical care, skill building, therapy and more, patients will have the opportunity to learn and practice new skills that will help them safely stop abusing drugs and maintain long-term abstinence. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, there are a number of different components that will make a drug rehab more successful:
- DETOX. The first step in any effective California rehab is drug detox, because most individuals who regularly consume their drug of choice build up a tolerance to the substance. Eventually the body and brain adjust to the substance, and the body begins to “crave” the substance in order to function normally. When a person stops taking heroin, cocaine, prescription drugs or other addictive substances, that person may experience withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms may include a number of unpleasant experiences including sweating, fever, nausea, heartrate fluctuations, and more. In some cases, withdrawal can be life-endangering. When withdrawal symptoms begin, it is a difficult emotional and physical process; many patients require medical drug detox care to make it through safely.
- PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC TREATMENT. After patients have overcome the withdrawal symptoms associated with drug dependence, the focus can turn to addressing the mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of your recovery. For some, underlying mental health disorders trigger the desire to abuse drugs; for others, the hard life that comes with drug addiction creates a slew of associated trauma that perpetuates the disorder. Either way, it is of utmost importance to treat any co-occurring disorders, addressing underlying trauma and learning how to cope with stressors in order to avoid relapse.
- AFTERCARE. Most patients will go home after 30 days, three months, or six months of treatment. Outpatient aftercare programs are very useful for those who are able to return to a supportive home. Personal therapy, liaison and advocacy services, 12-step treatment like Narcotics Anonymous, group therapy sessions, and case management that maximizes the benefits of aftercare services are all positive additions to an effective aftercare program.
- SOBER LIVING. Sober living residences often provide many of the same services that an individual can take advantage of through outpatient treatment services while also providing room and board. This is a good choice for those who don’t have a positive and supportive home to return to after rehab; they will fare far better in recovery when they surround themselves with sober peers, counselors to provide guidance during times of stress, and all the resources to start a positive new life without addiction.
Benefits of Drug Rehabilitation Programs
According to the National Institutes of Health, approximately one in ten Americans over the age of 12 struggles with drug and/or alcohol dependence. For these patients, drug rehabilitation programs in California are among the most highly sought after programs in the world. Proximity to some of the country’s most beautiful scenery– snow-capped mountains, sparkly Pacific beaches, sprawling state parks—along with a reputation for forging new frontiers in science and medicine makes California drug rehab programs extremely attractive.
- Location: Whether or not you live in the state, California drug rehabs are a top choice. Southern California especially boasts one of the fastest paced cities in the country as well as some of the most relaxing vistas. The combination of the two allow each individual to find the space to relax and enjoy nature during the recovery process. Proximity to nearby cities also make it easier to transition back to “the real world.” There is not environment more conducive to drug addiction treatment and rehabilitation than California.
- Cutting-Edge Services: California is a leader in scientific and medical research. The Canyon is a proven leader in the area of substance abuse and addiction treatment. The Canyon provides the best in medical and psychological treatments for those who struggle with drug and alcohol addiction or have co-occurring disorders of addiction and mental disorders. Everyone– from our acupuncturists, massage therapists and nutritionists to our nurses, psychologists,and psychiatrists specialize in drug addiction treatment. Our program offers a refreshing variety of evidence-based styles and types of therapy, meditative bodywork, and exercise.
- Celebrity-Style Facilities: It’s no wonder that The Canyon is often the choice of celebrities in search of healing after a bout with addiction. With our separate male and female homes on our sprawling mountain ranch estate and top-of-the-line facility, and tons of space to relax, our substance rehab allows each patient to take needed time to heal. Even the amenities found in the rooms and common areas, including gourmet organic meals and luxurious views,are designed to appease the celebrity in all of us.
- A Range of Therapies: Traditional 12-step programs are considered standard across the substance abuse and addiction treatment industry, but in California, thanks to the number of forward-thinking research facilities and universities in the state, you have access to the latest and most cutting-edge therapies. Whether it’s acupuncture in a group setting, other Chinese and ancient medicines, or psychological alternative therapies like ropes and adventure therapy or equine-assisted therapy, you can experiment with the different types of treatments and find what works best for you. Other facilities may try and force you into a one-size-fits-all kind of program, but in a drug rehabilitation center like The Canyon, you are encouraged to branch out and try new things.
- A Variety of Amenities: In addition to the wide variety of therapeutic treatments to choose from, drug rehabilitation centers in California also offer a number of amenities of the type you might find in a 4-star hotel. Celebrity-style accommodations including luxury bedding, vista views from residential rooms, swimming pools and Jacuzzis, saunas, and areas for meditation and massage are available. Organic, gourmet dining at each meal provides individuals with the nutrition they need to rejuvenate and naturally detoxify the toxins associated with substance use. All together, these amenities, plus the therapeutic and medical treatment help heal the spirit, mind, and body simultaneously so that each person may return home refreshed and ready to start a new life in recovery.
- Relaxation and Healing: California is one of the most beautiful and most-often filmed states in the country for a reason; from mountain ranges, to deserts, to the Pacific Ocean, the scenery couldn’t be more diverse or lovelier. Choosing a drug rehabilitation center in California means that you get to live in the midst of that beauty during your stay and enjoy it as you turn your attention toward yourself and reconnect with the goals and dreams that drove you before your struggle with addiction.
Signs You Need a Drug Rehab
Sometimes patients are too close to a situation to have an objective perspective. In the case of drug addiction, it is often the case that the person struggling with the disease is the last to realize the serious and deadly nature of the problem. According to The National Institute of Health, some signs that drug rehab may be necessary include:
- WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. These symptoms will vary depending upon the drug taken most often, but whether the drug of choice is alcohol or heroin, the symptoms can be physically and psychologically overwhelming. They may include nausea and vomiting, headaches, irritability and anxiety, mood swings, insomnia, shaking and tremors, and more. In more serious circumstances, especially in the presence of other medical issues, you may experience seizures, heart failure, blackout and even coma.
- CHRONIC ILLNESS. Serious health problems related to the abuse of drugs and alcohol are common and, again, will vary from patient to patient based upon the drug of choice and the method of ingestion. Drugs that are smoked may mean respiratory ailments, for example, and injecting heroin or cocaine can lead to the transmission of HIV or hepatitis C as well as blood infections and infections at the injection site.
- LOSS DUE TO DRUG ADDICTION. Losing a job, a spouse, custody of children, close friends and relationships with extended family members due to drug abuse or choices made under the influence can signify the need for treatment.
- BROKEN PROMISES. Most patients try to quit using drugs or drinking repeatedly, promising friends and family members to make positive changes– but without success. The inability to keep these promises and avoid abusing drugs and alcohol signifies that an addiction is in place and treatment is necessary.
- CONTINUAL RELAPSE. Those who manage to avoid drug and alcohol abuse for short periods of time often feel as if they have the problem under control, but if they exhibit a pattern of drug abuse in binges, this too is a problem that can be relieved with treatment.
Drug Rehabilitation at The Canyon
Treating all aspects of drug addiction as well as any psychological co-occurring disorders like depression or anxiety is essential to successful drug addiction treatment. Because the mind, body and spirit are connected, when one is affected, all are.
At The Canyon, we strive to attend to all levels of addiction during your stay with us, allowing you to focus through your personalized treatment goals, and update and change them as you grow and heal.
We provide the best in medical and psychological treatments for those who are struggling with drug and alcohol addiction or have co-occurring disorders of addiction and mental disorders like depression or eating disorders. Everyone from our acupuncturists and massage therapists to nutritionists and nurses to psychologists and psychiatrists specialize in drug addiction treatment.
Additionally, The Canyon offers mountain vista views from both of the residential homes on our estate as well as a number of luxury amenities. Each home on the estate–one for men and one for women– has their own swimming pool and Jacuzzi as well as meditation areas and group meeting rooms.
We are nestled in the Santa Monica Mountains just outside Beverly Hills, California, in Peace Park. As a premier drug rehabilitation program in California, you’ll find the best of everything here: the most highly trained staff, the best food, gorgeous views, the widest array of therapeutic treatments.
Contact us today for more information.