21 Actors Who Died of Drug or Alcohol Overdoses
There’s nothing glamorous about drug use, as most of us realize eventually. You may have heard stories about famous people who use drugs to party or get through life, but many of them sadly end up dying before their time.
Still not convinced?
Here is a list of actors and actresses who died of drug overdoses.
- Marilyn Monroe – Her death, due to an overdose of sleeping pills, was ruled as a “possible” suicide.
- John Belushi – Died in 1982 after injecting a speedball – a mixture of cocaine and heroin.
- River Phoenix – Died of a heroin overdose while in the presence of his younger brother Joaquin in front of the trendy Viper Room.
- Heath Ledger – Died of an accidental prescription pill overdose.
- Christopher Pettiet – You know him as Zach, the budding chef in “Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead.” He died of an accidental overdose in 2000.
- Mary Anissa Jones – Better known as Buffy from “Family Affair.” Drugs found in her system at the time of her death include Seconal, PCP, methaqualone and cocaine.
- Lani O’Grady – You remember her as the brainy and practical Mary on “Eight is Enough,” Lani died in 2001 at the age of 46 of “drug intoxication.” Found in her system at the time of her death were Vicodin and Prozac.
- Chris Farley – Overdosed in 1997 after taking a speedball.
- Judy Garland – Died in 1969 of an overdose of barbiturates.
- Anna Nicole Smith – Died in 2007 of “combined drug intoxication.”
- Elvis Presley – Found dead in his bathroom in 1977 after overdosing on prescription drugs.
- Rodney Harvey – On the verge of being taken very seriously as an actor, Harvey died of a heroin overdose in 1998.
- Nick Adams – Died of a drug overdose in 1968.
- Nick Cantor – The Dirty Dancing actor died after injecting a shot of pure heroin in 1991.
- Montgomery Clift – Died in 1966 at the age of 45 – the combined effects of drugs and alcohol.
- Dorothy Dandridge – Died at age 46 of an antidepressant overdose.
- W.C. Fields – Died as the result of a shot liver due to excessive alcohol abuse.
- Robert Pastorelli – The Murphy Brown actor died of a drug overdose in 2004 at the age of 50.
- Dana Plato – Died of a drug overdose in 1999 after taking Vicodin and Vanadam.
- Edie Sedgwick – Died in 1971 after mixing alcohol and barbiturates.
- Brad Renfro – Died of a heroin overdose in 2008.
Drug abuse is always dangerous, and it’s important to seek help before the worst happens.
Can you think of any we have missed? Please add your suggestions in the comments …
Other Overdose Related Posts:
- 3 Bands That Lost Their Front Men to Drug Addiction
- Another Accidental Drug Overdose, Another Murder Charge
- Kurt Cobain Drug Addiction and Suicide
By Wendy Lee Nentwig