Methamphetamine, also known as meth, or crystal meth, is a growing problem. Because it’s easy to make and more affordable than heroine or cocaine, more folks are getting hooked at an alarming rate.
Unlike some other highly addictive drugs, meth is manufactured, many times in garages and basements. It’s made with dangerous chemicals and household cleaning products and can cause extensive damage to the body.
Though its stimulating properties feel great at first, crashing is very unpleasant, which creates a vicious cycle. Moreover, meth eats away the brain, contributing memory loss, loss of motor skills and more.
If you’re wondering if you’re addicted, you may be interested in learning the top 10 signs of a meth addict.
Top 10 Signs
1. Meth addicts have no appetite. A sure sign you’re addicted is major weight loss in very little time.
2. A decline in grades, job productivity and excessive absences is another trademark of meth addicts. Many cannot hold down a job for more than a couple of months.
3. You may have heard of “meth mouth,” meth addicts suffer from tooth decay and often have blackened or missing teeth and sore red gums.
4. You smell of cat urine. Meth addicts sweat a lot and the smell is likened to that of cat urine.
5. In addition to having a bad smell and rotting teeth, meth addicts often have an unwashed appearance and suffer from massive acne outbreaks.
6. Meth addicts are often paranoid thinking everyone is out to get them.
7. Many meth addicts stay awake for weeks at a time causing mood swings, irritability and paranoia.
8. Room is littered with squares of burnt tin foil and bits of lightbulb, which are used for smoking meth.
9. Your skin is so itchy you can’t take it anymore. You scratch so much you draw blood.
10. You have to have meth first thing in the morning. You feel you can’t get through the day without your drugs.
By Wendy Lee Nentwig